Top Questions Asked by Potential Clients
a. Our management fee is 8% of the monthly rent.
We offer customized rates for multifamily properties with ten units or more and portfolio management of five units or more after completing a property inspection, rent roll, and lease review.
Yes, we love leasing! Our leasing-only fee is one month’s rent, which we collect from the incoming tenant that we place. There is no upfront cost to the property owner.
a. Our leasing fee for a property Ukiyo manages is 75% of the first month’s rent.
b. Our leasing fee for a non-managed property is 100% of the first month’s rent.
c. The leasing fee is collected from the new tenant’s initial rent payment. There is no upfront cost to you.
a. We provide a full media package for advertising your property.
- Our real estate photography partner provides our media package and includes
- Still photos of the property’s interior and exterior.
- A video walkthrough and neighborhood highlights set to music.
- A 3D virtual tour of your property.
- Virtually staged photos of your property.
- 2D floorplans with measurements.
- Aerial drone photos and video.
- A dedicated property website with all of the media plus a slideshow.
- You will maintain ownership of the marketing media for your property.
b. Our leasing fee includes all listing fees plus a premium listing on Zillow.
- Your property will be listed on nine major real estate websites, our company website, and its dedicated property website, and we regularly post ads on Craigslist.
c. We provide in-person leasing tours with experienced local leasing professionals.
d. We provide self-guided tours for prospective renters who cannot meet with one of our agents or simply prefer to tour independently.
e. We screen all applicants for credit, eviction, and criminal history and verify their income and identity.
a. Yes, our leasing fee applies to each tenant placement.
- Complete a phone consultation with our Broker-Owner, Nick Bruce.
- Meet one of our leasing agents at your rental property for a walkthrough.
- Sign the property management agreement, complete an onboarding questionnaire, and schedule a key handoff.
a. After our consultation call, We will send you a 24-month market report with an expected rental rate range.
b. After one of our agents has completed a walkthrough of your property and you’ve signed the property management or lease-listing agreement, we will complete a market survey of currently listed comparable properties and provide you with our list price recommendation.
a. A reasonable expectation is 30 days on the market. We often lease properties much sooner than 30 days.
b. The desirability of the property is dependent on its location, list price, size, and market conditions, which are key factors in how long it will take to sign a lease with new tenants.
a. Most properties require, at a minimum, touch-up paint, minor fixes or upgrades, and a professional cleaning to prepare it for new tenants.
b. We can manage the make-ready process for you for a flat fee of $299.
- The make-ready flat fee covers our coordination of the vendors and quality control inspections.
- All make-ready expenses will be invoiced to the owner and are due upon receipt.
C. You are welcome to complete the make-ready process to avoid the fee and hand off the rent-ready property to us for immediate listing after photography is completed.
a. For Fair Housing reasons, our clients cannot participate in tenant selection.
b. We can share details of the tenant we’ve selected once the lease is signed.
a. Furnished properties work best as short-term rentals. We don’t currently offer short-term rental management services.
a. We don’t currently offer short-term rental management services. We recommend contacting Vacasa for information on short-term rental management.
a. Our team has decades of experience managing single-family and multi-family rental properties in several rent-controlled cities in the Bay Area, including Berkeley, San Francisco, Oakland, Richmond, and Alameda.
a. This varies by city. Most rent-controlled cities have strict requirements for owner-move-in evictions. Please ask this question during our consultation call for more information.
a. We require that you hire our recommended attorney, Law Offices of Todd Rothbard.
b. Our team will work with the attorney’s office to prepare the eviction file.
c. Our fee is $100 per hour for mandatory court appearances, depositions, and discovery beyond the documents we possess. Each court appearance or deposition has a $300 minimum fee.
d. We offer up to two months of rent payment insurance through our partnership with Steady. Ask us about the Owner Benefit Package.
a. Ukiyo was established in 2015 as a private company taking on new clients by referral only. We opened our services to the general public in August 2022.
a. As of June 2023, we manage just over 100 rental properties in the Bay Area.
a. We manage properties in all cities of the following counties, Alameda, San Francisco, San Mateo, and Contra Costa.
a. We have a lean team of ten leasing and management professionals.
- Nick is the Vice President of Operations, responsible for all escalated management issues.
- Casey provides management consultation as needed.
- William is our Property Manager and the first point of contact for owners, tenants, and vendors.
- Jisa is our Assistant Property Manager, responsible for bookkeeping, leasing, and maintenance coordination.
- Dulce, Heather, Nicole, and Michelle are our leasing agents who meet with owners and prospective tenants and introduce them to our services and processes.
- Kim is our Commercial Property Director and manages all aspects of the commercial assets in our portfolio.
- Amber is our Property Coordinator and a Resident Manager of one of the apartment complexes we manage in Oakland.
a. We have long-standing relationships with our vendor partners, and they will be the preferred vendors for any maintenance or repairs needed at your property. However, we’re happy to work with your trusted vendors, too.
b. We have a partnership interest in Maintenance Pros, LLC, which provides turnover and maintenance services for our portfolio of rental properties.
a. Nearly all of our tenants pay their rent online.
b. We do accept checks and money orders mailed to our office address.
c. We can also accept cash payments at CVS and 7-11 locations.
a. We regularly take over the management of rental properties, both from self-managing owners and other property management companies. There is an onboarding fee of $99 for occupied properties.
a. Our team has many years of experience working with the various Section 8 housing authority offices in the Bay Area.
We hold security deposits in our broker trust account by default. However, you are welcome to retain the deposit if you prefer.
We do not retain reserve funds for properties. We send online invoices to owners for all property expenses.
We charge a $100 late fee which is applied to the tenant ledger on the fifth of the month if we haven’t received payment in full.
The lease requires any guest staying in the property for 15 days or longer to complete a rental application and be added to the lease agreement. Occupancy is limited to two persons per bedroom and one person in the living room per CA law.
Written permission for any alterations to the property is required per the lease agreement.
All new owner clients complete our onboarding form to submit this information. Client and Property Onboarding Form.
a. “No pet” policies are no longer effective due to the Emotional Support Animal laws.
b. More prospective renters see pet-friendly listings due to search filters on listing sites.
c. Pet owners stay in the rental property longer than non-pet owners. This reduces vacancy loss, and turnover costs.
d. You can collect an additional $50/mo. in pet rent per pet, and an additional $500 pet deposit per pet.
Our next step is to schedule a meeting with you and one of our leasing agents at the property for a walkthrough. We’ll send you our management agreement via DocuSign before the meeting, and if you wish to move forward, you can hand off the keys to our agent during the meeting.
Depending on the type of make-ready work needed, we normally list properties within seven days of accepting possession of a fully vacant property.